[LNHY/ACRA] Google.mesh #2

Martin Phipps phippsmartin at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 5 21:44:43 PST 2004

Oops.  I was offline when I wrote this issue and I didn't include the
references that I wanted to include (for comparison sake).

The entire text of the Epic of Gilgamesh (for anyone interested) is
available on line at
http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mesopotamian/gilgamesh/ or at
http://www.mythome.org/Gilgamesh.html

A more readable summary of the story is available at
http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/MESO/GILG.HTM or at
http://novaonline.nv.cc.va.us/eli/eng251/gilgameshstudy.htm

The villainess in Gilgamesh was called Ishtar.  I thought she sounded very
similar to the Egyptian God Isis so I worked that into the story.  I only
just found out by doing a web search that Isis' full name _WAS_ Isis Ishtar
which means that the goddess Ishtar mentioned in the Epic of Gilgamesh _WAS_
Isis which means that Isis too _WAS_ a historical figure and must have been
the queen of Egypt around the same time that Gilgamesh was the king of
Sumar.  Either that or the part about her lusting after Gilgamesh was just
made up.  To confirm this, go to
http://www.egyptiandreams.co.uk/keywords/isis/isis%20ishtar.php or to
http://www.halexandria.org/dward384.htm or to
http://www.gotojassminesitenow.com/goddesses/ishtar.html

The latter site also says that, she was known to the Romans as "Venus", to
the Phoenicians as "Astarte" and to the Syrians as "Astarte" and that in the
Bible she was refered to as "Ashtoreth".

Anyway, to read about the BBC report regarding the discovery of Gilgamesh's
"tomb" go to
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2982891.stm or to

Martin