LNHY: Never Asked Questions about LNHY

Martin Phipps phippsmartin at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 7 11:46:27 PDT 2004

arspitzer at aol.com (Arspitzer) wrote in message
news:<20040806213041.10448.00000760 at mb-m23.aol.com>...
> Martin Phipps wrote:
> >arspitzer at aol.com (Arspitzer) wrote in message
> >news:<20040803224516.18077.00001081 at mb-m03.aol.com>...
> >> I'd say they're good guys in the same sense that Self-Righteous Preacher
> >> is a good guy.
>
> >Is he though?  Or have the LNH's standards for membership been
> >incedibly lax?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  Self-Righteous Preacher fights against the
> evils of gay marriage, pre-marital sex, and internet porn.  He protects
> those poor defenseless stem cells from being murdered.  Some might say
> that he is the most heroic of all the LNH'rs. (Not me of course.  But
> there are lunatics out there.)

Hmm.  Good point.  And by the same token the Teen Fascists and the the
Teen Jihad would be considered heroes by members of their respective
fringe groups.

> >> Their motto is 'You're either with the Teen Fascists or against the Teen
> >> Fascists'.
>
> >The obvious suggestion being that Ashcroft and Bush are Fascists.
>
> >Hmm.
>
> >I see what you mean except that they probably wouldn't label
> >themselves as "Fascists".
>
> Well, ok.  In the real world, they'd probably call them the Teen
> Patriots or something Orwellian like the Freedom Kids.  Not that they'd
> use super teens in the real world to fight terrorism.

Hmm.  Sounds like Team America.

(Checks Team America trailer online.)

Yep, sounds *exactly* like Team America.

> The Bush
> Administration in Looniverse Y is a lot more ridiculous than the one in
> the real world.  My Ashcroft would be a lot more goofy and likable than
> the real world one.  He'd sort of be this Uncle Marvel type character
> who has his own superhero suit and is always trying to go on missions
> with the kids.  And they'd always say, "Sorry, Uncle Ashcroft.  We love
> you, but you can't go Arab stomping with us.  You'll just hurt
> yourself."

Hmm.  The Teen Fascists vs. the Teen Jihad... but how to make it
funny?

> >The Teen Fascists would have to believe so
> >strongly in fascism that they'd regard Ashcroft and Bush and bleeding
> >hearts.  In fact, they'd probably regard everybody who opposed them as
> >bleeding hearts.  They'd probably label Rush Limbaugh as public enemy
> >number one for "not going far enough" and would want to replace him
> >with a right wing commentator "not afraid to tell it like it really
> >is".  Hmm.  I can sort of see some humor coming out of this idea but
> >it needs more work.
>
> I suppose maybe they could have originally been created by the goverment
> with another name like say, the Freedom Kids, but eventually found the
> Bush Adminstration to soft on terrorism and went rogue and underground.
> Now they realize that the only way they can save America from terrorism
> is to overthrow the American government.  Becoming terrorists to save us
> from terrorism.

Cough.  Swordfish.  Cough.

> >For starters, they would have to have a blind eye to the very idea
> >that they would be infringing the rights of Americans: rather than set
> >out to infringe the bill of rights they would probably quote the
> >constitution as if it were a biblical text, the only restriction being
> >that the bill of rights only applies to "real Americans" and THEY
> >define who a real American is.  Just as Bush might label the French as
> >being unsympathetic to the war on terror, the Teen Fascists would
> >label Bush as being unpatriotic should he speak out openly about the
> >Teen Fascists.  After all, they are AMERICAN heroes, unlike those
> >Before God guys who speak with Summarian accents!
>
> But the Before God Guys were on the Mayflower.

Oh.  In that case maybe they still speak with BRITISH accents.

> >So I was thinking of taking ordinary net.heroes and making them
> >fascists.  Instead of Linguist Lass, we would have English Only Lass!
> >Instead of Irony Man, we would have, um, ah, Irony Man I guess.  I
>
> Just so you know, you can't make a character named Irony Man unless you
> can get permission from the person who created Irony Man (not that Irony
> Man's a teenager anyways).  You could create a character called Kid
> Ironic, or Teen Irony or something if you wanted.  I'd like to keep all
> that murky copyright stuff out of Looniverse Y.

Right.  Just saying he would have fit right in.

> >mean as leader of Tsk Force, he used to hunt down non-conformists.  If
> >that's not fascist then what is?  Indeed, the very concept of a
> >superhero group seems very militaristic and fascist and writers of
> >real comics have played around with that idea already.
>
> >Hmm.  Needs more thought.
>
> Do whatever you want Martin.  I'm not going to be doing anything with
> the Teen Fascists.

Hmm.  Maybe I'll wait for Team America to come out and then see.  I
mean, if the idea works as a movie then maybe it can be done
tastefully and even handedly.  On the other hand, if Team America is
really bad then I'll just conclude that it was just a bad idea.
Unless while watching Team America I feel inspired as to how to do it
*right* even if the movie itself is a classic example of how *not* to
avoid offending people.  All this is assuming that Team America
actually gets shown in Asia and doesn't just go straight to video next
year.

So, no, I might not be doing anything with the Teen Fascists either,
at least for the foreseeable future.

Martin