[REV] End of Month Reviews - July 2004 [spoilers]

Saxon Brenton saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
Sun Aug 1 16:17:48 PDT 2004

End of Month Reviews - July 2004

Reviewed this issue:
      Alt.Riders #26 [LNH]
      ASH #50 [ASH]
      Deja Dude and Master Blaster Special #1 [LNH]
      LNH Asia: Full Throttle #1 [LNH]
      Vel #-1, 0, 1/2, and 1 - 2 [LNH]

Also posted:
     LNH Asia #2: Full Throttle #2 [LNH2]
     Limp-Asparagus Lad #53 [LNH]

     Spoilers below.

----------

Alt.Riders #26
'Speeed part 3'
A Legion of Net.Heroes [LNH] series
by Jamas Enright

     Continuing from Captain Everything #1 and Alt.Riders #26. The
Alt.Riders are, somewhat mysteriously, invited back to the city of
Got.ham for a civic reception in their honour. Afterwards the
Net.Elementalist is captured by Speeed, after which Speeed and his
associate Fade get to use the Net.Elementalst as bait for playing cat-
and-mouse with the other Alt.Riders, capturing them one by one for
their master, who turns out to be an old enemy.
     At this point I should probably make a quip that by now you should
realise that Captain Everything ain't coming back simply because the God
that Speeed and Fade are working for isn't the type predisposed towards
granting resurrections. Actually, their devotion to Mandrake seems quite
fanatical and cultish (and, tellingly I think, is subtly different to
the professional criminal relationship that Speeed exhibited back in his
first appearance. Mandrake's dialogue suggests that he's either doing a
very good cult leader impersonation, or went seriously nuts as a result
of his last major appearance.

Academy of Super-Heroes #50
'World On A String'
An Academy of Super-Heroes [ASH] series
by Dvandom (Dave Van Domelen), with Tony Pi, Mike Escutia and Joe Singleton

     This episode is packed full of stuff to celebrate the fiftieth
issue anniversary. It's double-sized over its typical length, has guest
material by other ASH writers, and links to honest-to-goodness full
colour cover art.
     The story culminates and thwarts the plot of Q'Nos to summon his
mother, the World-Serpent of sundry mythologies, back to Earth from
Tartarus. The various human and superhuman defenders have no specific
idea what Q'Nos is trying to recall, and so adopt the double-barrel
strategy of a) spreading out along Magellan's Navigation in order to try
to disrupt the summoning ritual, and b) have Peregryn prepare a backup
plan to wrest control of Q'Nos's power and abjure the creature if all
else fails. Cue scenes of small teams (both regular cast and guest
appearances) fighting around the world, interspersed with Pereryn's
preparations and assault against Jormungandr.
     Now, here's the bit where I reveal a downer, but I think it has more
to do with me being a curmudgeonly C.O.O.T. (comic owner over thirty)
than anything inherent to the story . In retrospect I noticed an
interesting reaction in myself: once Peregryn had given his opening
tactical assessment and outlined his plans, I knew instinctively that it
would be his backup scheme that would be the ultimate defeat of Q'Nos and
the Leviathan, and placed most of my emotional investment in that subplot.
I actually caught myself skimming through some of the other scenes to get
to the bits with Peregryn, and had to force myself to slow down. After
all, there's lots of good stuff in the other material: Beacon discovers
a new use for his light powers, and Breaker admits her fears of various
archvillains have simply been projected stand-ins for the Chinese state.
The Base of the Pillar's apparent death and surreptitious leaving was
intriguing, and even if she goes nowhere near the regular cast, the
combination of her departure to find a new life combined with the 'next
issue teaser' that new heroes will be joining ASH makes for a compelling
cliffhanger. And as an ardent LNH-phile, how can I not have a soft spot
for Conflicto and his Zoo of Malice?

Deja Dude and Master Blaster Special #1
'Deja Dude and Master Blaster Go Hollywood'
A Legion of Net.Heroes [LNH] title
by Martin Phipps

     In this quirky non-plotted post Deja Due and Master Blaster review
movies. And that's it. Oh, they make a token attempt to review movies
while in mortal danger, but they soon discover that hanging themselves
by a bungee cord over a tank of piranhas makes it too hard to concentrate.

LNH Asia: Full Throttle #1
'Whatever happened To Master Roster Man?'
A Legion of Net.Heroes 2 [LNH2] title
by Martin Phipps

     It seems that the Lan.darin has been holding Master Roster Man for
ransom for the past twenty years, but thanks to incompetence on the part
of the Lan.darin and/or the LNH (both are equally plausible) the issue
has not be resolved. Then N and Deja Dude II of LNH Asia arrive and rescue
him, and setting up some foreshadowing for a confrontation with the
Lan.darin's beautiful and mysterious partner. Along the way Nimbo and
Intuition girl get menaced by hulking, stinky Mo.gosub.lian goat herders
until Utraman rescues them.
     You know, I really felt sorry for the plight of those Mo.gosub.lian
goat herders.

Vel #-1, 0, 1/2 and 1 - 2
'The Man I Never Was' parts 5-7 (of 6) and
'Mitochondrial Mayhem' parts 1-2
A Legion of Net.Heroes [LNH] series
By Jesse Willey

     I'm not sure if the pacing of the story got away from Jesse, or
whether the issue 1/2 epilogue was planned from the start as a satirical
new twist on his penchant for numbering some of his (mini)series backwards
from a negative number.
     'The Man I Never Was' continues and concludes as LNH2 version of
Johnny Stomper rescues/'deports' Jailbait and Vel back from ancient
Dofia, followed by a further jump back to the LNH period LNHHQ to thwart
the machinations of Screw You Over Lad, the Evil Twin Vel, and ultimately
Doctor Killfile's attempt to gain power by inserting himself into the
Dorfian legend of the Prophet. Thanks to foreshadowing the audience should
not be too surprised to discover that the Evil Twin Vel had to take the
role of the Prophet instead.
     There are a whole bunch of little things that I could alternately
praise or rant about, but at the time I'm putting the final touches to
this post I've had a hard weekend of goofing off for my birthday, and I
just don't feel up to it. So instead I'll briefly note (or at least try
to briefly note) some of the standout points. I liked the framing sequence
with Dr Freud; it allowed for some interesting introspection on Vel's
feelings. I had trouble keeping track of which version of Johnny Stomper
was appearing in #0 - at first I thought it was the LNH version, but then
the revelation of time paradox altered memories made me doubt this. Also,
in the end we also get something of an explanation as to why people were
overreacting so much in the first few issues (the influence of Screw You
Over Lad); mind you, Dr Stomper's admission that jealousy may have been
involved in his case felt a lot more natural and less plot-devicey than
the bald after-the-fact-revelation-with-no-personal-recriminations that
Ultimate Ninja received.
     Issues 1 and 2 are set back prior to Vel's departure from the Legion,
and indeed before the events of the first story arc. Vel, Master Blaster
and Deja Dude embark on a 'Fantastic Voyage' style miniaturised adventure
within a body to remove a brain cancer, only to discover that the cancer
is the regenerating form of the alien troll OMAR, who of course gets loose
and has to be dealt with. Along the way there's some scenes of Vel ribbing
Deja Dude, which is perfectly plausible. Naturally Vel, with his warrior
code of honour, is going to side with Master Blaster. Deja Dude, by both
personality and nature/limitations of his powers, is more given to
thoughtful solutions to problems.

Saxon Brenton    University of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
The Eyrie Archives of Russ Allbery which collect the online superhero
fiction of the rec.arts.comics.creative newsgroup can be found at:
     http://archives.eyrie.org/racc/