[LNH2] LNH Europe 2020 #2

Martin Phipps phippsmartin at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 22:48:48 PDT 2004

LNH Europe 2020 #2: Brothers Up In Arms, Part III

2020.  The future.  Londo.net, Eng.lan

  "I'll be right there."  Rudolph MacGuire, aka Rumour Monger, stood up from
his home office workstation and went to answer the door.  He was not
willing, however, to open the door without knowing who was there.  "Who is
it?" he asked.
  "We're members of LNH Europe.  We're conducting an investigation into the
activities of your former Brotherhood of Evil Net.villain teammates.   We'd
like to ask you some questions."
  "Suppose I don't want to talk to you?"
  "We've been authorized by Scot.lan Yard to conduct this investigation.  If
you don't cooperate with us, we can have you charged with obstruction of
justice."
  "So it's like that, is it?  I'm going to want a lawyer present before I
answer any questions."
  "That won't be necessary because you aren't being charged with anything.
That being said, your refusal to cooperate may be considered suspicious by
the local judiciary.  It may be enough for me to be able to obtain a warrant
to search your apartment."
  "Alright, I'll be right back."  Rudolph went to his workstation, closed
all his windows, shut down his computer and went to open the door.  "Sorry
to keep you waiting," he said.
  "That's quite alright," Hamster Man said.  Behind him were Swiss Miss,
Linguist Lass and Browsing Boy.
  "Please sit down on the sofa," Rudolph said as he pointed to it.  Hamster
Man, Swiss Miss and Linguist Lass sat on the sofa while Browsing Boy and
Rudolph himself sat on lounge chairs that had been placed on opposite sides
of it.
  "Three former members of the Brotherhood of Evil Net.Villains were
apprehended in Thai.lan recently," Hamster Man said.  "Do you know anything
about this?"
  "No, I don't," Rudolph said, flatly.
  "Any idea what they might have been up to?"
  "I just said I don't know."
  "Speculate."
  "Are you asking for my expert opinion?"
  "If you like?"
  Rudolph pretended to mull over the question.  "Wasn't Lagneto living in
Thai.lan?"
  "Yes, he was."
  "Maybe they were working for him."
  "Except he's dead now.  He died three years ago during his trial."
  Rudolph smiled.  "I have evidence to the contrary."
  "What sort of evidence?"
  "All sorts of evidence.  Bank records.  Eye witness accounts."
  "Tell us who your sources are and we can ask LNH Asia to investigate."
  "I can't do that," Rudolph said with a smile.
  "How's that?"
  "One of my duties at AOL-Time-Warner-Dis.net-Sony-Seagrams-Newscorp is as
a freelance investigative reporter for the Net News Network.  In such a
capacity, I have the right-- indeed the duty-- to protect my sources."
  "Nice try," Browsing Boy said, "but this isn't the Loonited States.  Your
rights as a journalist aren't protected by the Ame.rec.an constitution!"
  "Actually," Swiss Miss said, "he's right.  Press freedoms have been
enshrined into the new European constitution."
  "Oh."
  "We can still order a supeona and make you hand over whatever evidence you
have," Hamster Man said.
  Rudolph nodded.  "Alright.  I'll put whatever information I can find on
disk and deviler it to Scot.lan Yard personally tomorrow morning, as long as
my sources remain protected."
  "Very well then," Hamster Man said, getting up and offering to shake his
hand.  They shook hands.  "Thank you for your help.  Let's go."
  Swiss Miss, Linguist Lass and Browsing Boy all got up and followed Hamster
Man out of Rumour Monger's apartment.
  "He's lying," Linguist Lass said once they were out the door.  "I can
tell."
  "I know," Hamster Man said, "but he did give us a lead that we can follow
up on.  If Lagneto _is_ still alive then we need to find out what
connection, if any, there is between him and the Brotherhood."
  "Maybe Rumour Monger himself is working with Lagneto," Swiss Miss
suggested, "and he's giving him up to take the heat off of him."
  "I don't think so," Hamster Man said.  "At Lagneto's trial, Rumour Monger
testified against him.  For some reason, he doesn't seem to like Lagneto.  I
think he _wants_ us to find Lagneto."  They all pondered the problem for a
moment.  "As soon as Rumour Monger hands over his evidence to Scot.lan Yard,
I'm going to have it sent to LNH Asia so they can find out for themselves if
there's any truth to what he claims."

  The evidence Rumour Monger promised was dropped off at Scot.lan Yard the
next morning as promised.  Hamster Man was allowed access to the
commissioner's office so he could study the evidence in privacy.  Some of it
wasn't particularly convincing: the eye witness accounts of a large aging
Americans fitting Eric Morova's description having recently been spotted in
Bang.DOS and Phuk.net came as no surprise; those cities are major tourist
areas with plenty of foreigners passing through every day.  Obviously, when
it became publicly known that Lagneto had been living in Thai.lan all the
time, there were plenty of people who came forward to say they saw him and
this would have continued even after he was declared dead.  For some Thai
villagers, let's face it, all foreigners are going to look the same to them.
  To Hamster Man, these eye witness accounts were no more convincing then
the many accounts from people who claimed to see Elvis in Graceland long
after he was supposed to have died.
  Some of the other evidence was more compelling, however.  For example,
Rumour  Monger had, somehow, gotten access to the bank account owned by Eric
Morova.  Even after his supposed death, there were withdrawls made from the
account.  That wasn't so surprising: Eric's wife and son's would have needed
money to live on and, as his wife, she could easily have gotten permission
to withdraw the money.  What was more surprising were the money transfers
made into his account shortly after he was supposed to have died.  As far as
Hamster Man knew, Lagneto's wife was a simple woman from a small village in
Thai.lan.  How would she have been able to transfer money into their
account, especially if it had been from an overseas account?
  What was the most peculiar was the way the LNH handled the death and
burial of Lagneto: Professor Stomper was said to have declared Lagneto dead
at the trial but then, giving modern recovery methods, why wasn't he rushed
to a hopsital?  Why wasn't an autopsy performed to determine the cause of
death or even, for that matter, whether or not he actually was dead?  Why
was no death certificate filed in the Hague where he was supposed to have
died?  Was Professor Stomper worried about being accused of fraud if his
deception had been uncovered?  Why did the LNH handle the funeral themselves
and not a professional funeral home?  Given that he had supposedly died of
natural causes and hadn't had time to decompose, why was it decided to bury
him-- so soon after his arrival by flight.thingee to the Loonited States--
in a closed casket, thereby depriving his family of the opportunity to see
him one more time?
  Hamster Man noticed some other things too: the Newer Mutants, each and
every one of then having come from Thai.lan, started studying at Net.ropolis
Academy around the same time that Lagneto was captured returning to Thai.lan
from the Loonited States.  It was never established just what Lagneto had
been doing in the Loonited States.  Did he really go there just to see his
daughter?  Or had the LNH and Lagneto been working together for some time?
A year ago, LNH Asia was formed and the remaining six members of the Newer
Mutants returned to Thai.lan.  Could it be that the LNH is actually working
with Lagneto to create a network of net.ahumans in South East Asia?  Is LNH
Asia really the Legion of Net.Heroes in Asia or are they Lagneto's
Net.Heroes in Asia?  Hamster Man could see a huge conspiracy taking form and
he didn't like it one bit.
  "We're going to have to look into this personally," he told his teammates
later that evening.  "We're going to Asia."

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the solar sys.tem...

  "We're approaching Looniearth now, your dishonourable @$$@#$%ness."
  "Good.  Very good.  As soon as you locate the building we're looking for,
I want you to blow those @#$%^&$ away!  I want to kill those @#$%^&@#$%^&$
once and for all!"  Boba LaRocque smiled broadly.  His Dorfian destroyer,
while not powerful enough to destroy entire cities on Looniearth, certainly
had enough firepower to destroy his hated enemies in LNH Asia!

NEXT: LNH Europe vs. LNH Asia vs. Boba LaRocque in LNH Asia 2020 #2, the
conclusion to the Brothers Up In Arms arc!

And then in LNH Europe 2020 #3: Boba LaRocque goes on trial for his crimes
against humanity at the World Court in the Hague, Net.therlands!

CREDITS:

LNH Europe created by Kevin Wilcox.  Hamster Man and Rumour Monger created
by Raymond "wReam" Bingham.  Brotherhood of Evil Net.Villains created by
wReam and Drizzt.  Lagneto created by Jef Kolodziej.

LNH Asia, the Newer Mutants, Linguist Lass and Boba LaRocque created by me.

Doctor Stomper, Browsing Boy and the Dorfs are public domain.

Martin