[NNTP] Fwd: Last Call: <draft-elie-nntp-tls-recommendations-01.txt> (Use of Transport Layer Security (TLS) in the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)) to Proposed Standard

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon Nov 28 13:44:01 PST 2016

Hi all,

> An update to RFC 4642 (use of TLS with NNTP) is currently in IETF Last
> Call.
> You can see the current document here:
>     https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-elie-nntp-tls-recommendations-01

Does anyone have an opinion about the third issue in Appendix E?

Basically, news servers use either port 119 (NNTP) or port 433 (NNSP);
news clients use either port 119 (NNTP) or 563 (NNTP/TLS).  The use of
119/433 ports is described in Sections 3.4.1 and 3.4.2 of RFC 3977:

    The official TCP port for the NNTP service is 119.  However, if a
    host wishes to offer separate servers for transit and reading
    clients, port 433 SHOULD be used for the transit server and 119 for
    the reading server.

As strict TLS over a dedicated port is the current TLS best practice to
use, what should we do for transit servers?  We currently have no
NNSP/TLS port.  Do you believe we should ask to register a new port
NNSP/TLS?
Otherwise, what should we recommend?  (My fear is that adoption and use
of that new port by news servers will be slow, or even will never be
happening...)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Love is blind but marriage is an eye-opener. »