[NNTP] Errata 1707 and 1527 for RFC 3977

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon May 14 14:41:35 PDT 2012

Hi Barry,

As I see that you are currently pretty active on errata for RFC 3977, I
believe it could be time to properly close the two remaining subjects
that weren't updated two years ago.

* Could the following rationale be added to erratum 1707 for RFC 3977 so
as to explain the reason of the reject?

http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?eid=1707

    The high water mark is one less than the low water mark for empty
    newsgroups.  A major reason for doing it this way was to deal with
    clusters of servers.  If they're not perfectly synchronized, then
    a cancel might be visible on one and not another.  So if you connect
    to the second one, it looks as if the article has been reinstated.
    Wording it like this meant we didn't need special treatment of such
    clusters.  The low water mark cannot decrease.  [Clive D.W. Feather]

* Could erratum 1527 for RFC 3977 be updated and its status changed to
"VERIFIED" so that it could be properly reviewed when the NNTP protocol
moves from proposed standard to draft standard?

http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?eid=1527

The new wording is better than what was originally suggested as
erratum.  **It fixes exactly the same issue.**
You can see that the current erratum about section 3.2.1 deals with
MODE-READER.  It appeared after discussing with Russ and Clive that
it was better to change section 3.4.2 (mine was just a remark
on section 3.2.1 without any corrected text -- now we have a corrected
text, for 3.4.2).  In fact, I did not know where to put my remark when
I first submitted the bug report.  Clive found a place in RFC 3977
to put it directly in the text, which is far better!

The following sections should be changed (with line breaks removed
in the notes section only, because they are otherwise put at wrong
places in the web version):

Section
-------
3.4.2

Original Text
-------------
However, the server MAY cease to advertise the MODE-READER
capability after the client uses any command except CAPABILITIES.

Corrected Text
--------------
If the client uses a command which will be available in reading mode
and the server will continue to advertise the MODE-READER capability
after responding to that command, the response code 401, with
MODE-READER as the first argument, MUST be returned.  However, the
server MAY cease to advertise the MODE-READER capability after the
client uses any command except CAPABILITIES, in which case the
response code 502 MUST be returned for such commands.

Notes
-----
Here are two examples to illustrate Section 5.3.3 with that clarification.

Example of the 401 response code to indicate that MODE READER is needed:

   [C] CAPABILITIES
   [S] 101 Capability list:
   [S] VERSION 2
   [S] IHAVE
   [S] MODE-READER
   [S] .
   [C] POST
   [S] 401 MODE-READER
   [C] MODE READER
   [S] 200 Reader mode, posting permitted
   [C] CAPABILITIES
   [S] 101 Capability list:
   [S] VERSION 2
   [S] READER
   [S] LIST ACTIVE NEWSGROUPS
   [S] POST
   [S] .

Example of a mode-switching server which does not allow any reader
command to be used, even unsuccessfully, in transit mode:

   [C] CAPABILITIES
   [S] 101 Capability list:
   [S] VERSION 2
   [S] IHAVE
   [S] MODE-READER
   [S] .
   [C] POST
   [S] 502 Transit service only
   [C] CAPABILITIES
   [S] 101 Capability list:
   [S] VERSION 2
   [S] IHAVE
   [S] .
   [C] MODE READER
   [S] 502 Transit service only
   [Server closes connection.]

Many thanks beforehand,

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Mieux vaut allumer une bougie que maudire les ténèbres. » (Lao
   Zi)