[NNTP] Interesting server behaviour

River Tarnell river at RT.UK.EU.ORG
Sun Jan 1 18:10:00 PST 2012

(Re-sending because my first message didn't appear -- sorry if this
shows up twice.)

I just noticed the following rather unfortunate behaviour from one
widely-used NNTP server:

% telnet 69.16.177.254 nntp
Trying 69.16.177.254...
Connected to voer-me.highwinds-media.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 (cyclone01.ams2) -- Welcome (Cyclone v2.4.1.749-3)
CAPABILITIES
500 Syntax Error or Unknown Command
Connection closed by foreign host.

So 6 years after RFC 3799 was published, it's still impossible in
practice to use CAPABILITIES to discover streaming.

I don't have anything in particular to say about this, but I thought I'd
note it for the list archives if nothing else.

--
        -- river.                      | Free Usenet: http://news.rt.uk.eu.org/
Non-Reciprocal Laws of Expectations:   | PGP: 2B9CE6F2