[NNTP] Tr: Last Call: draft-elie-nntp-list-additions (Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) Additions to LIST Command) to Proposed Standard

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon Jul 5 14:50:54 PDT 2010

Hi Russ,

>> LIST MODERATORS
>> 2.4.3.  Example
>>
>>       Similarly, a "%s" pattern rule cannot be used for the moderation
>>       submission template for two moderated newsgroups whose names
>>       differ only by the case of their characters.
>>
>> Left hand sides of email addresses are actually case sensitive (although
>> most end systems treat them as case-insensitive).
>> Therefore, is this remark for LIST MODERATORS accurate?  Maybe we should
>> say "It is recommended not to use [...]" because, clearly, "cannot"
>> is wrong.
>
> While the LHS of an email address is case-sensitive in the standard, most
> mail systems do not treat it as case-sensitive without going to special
> work to configure them to do so, which means that in practice relying on
> that case-sensitivity is unlikely to work.  We should probably say that
> explicitly, but I think the provision of the text here is correct.

Thanks for your input on that subject.
After having seen with Alexey, we're about to reword the paragraph
as follows:

      Similarly, it is not recommended to use a "%s" pattern rule for
      the moderation submission template for two moderated newsgroups
      whose names differ only by the case of their characters, because
      email systems are frequently treating left-hand-side of email
      addresses as case-sensitive.

I hope it's fine for everyone.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« A program should always respond to the user in the way that astonishes
  him least. » (Plauger's Law of Least Astonishment)