[NNTP] Tr: [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC3977 (1707) -- archive of rationale

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Jan 23 04:58:51 PST 2010

Hi,

The rationale for which erratum 1707 for RFC 3977 was "Rejected"
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?eid=1707> is:

    The high water mark is one less than the low water mark for empty
    newsgroups.  A major reason for doing it this way was to deal with
    clusters of servers.  If they're not perfectly synchronized, then
    a cancel might be visible on one and not another.  So if you connect
    to the second one, it looks as if the article has been reinstated.
    Wording it like this meant we didn't need special treatment of such
    clusters.  The low water mark cannot decrease.

I post it here for the archives (because there is currently no public
trace of the rationale Clive judiciously gave).

Note that the erratum was previously marked as held for document update
but that is currently no longer the case, which is right.  This
erratum must not be verified.

Julien