[NNTP] Tr: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC3977 (1527) -- archive for draft standard

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Jan 23 04:48:52 PST 2010

Hi,

As erratum 1527 for RFC 3977 was put in the "Held for Document Update"
state <http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?eid=1527>, here
is the preferred wording that Clive suggested but that we unfortunately
could not put in the final erratum.

I post it here for the archives (because there is currently no public
trace of that new wording), so that it could be properly reviewed
when the NNTP protocol moves from proposed standard to draft standard.

RFC 3977 - Erratum 1527

It should be VERIFIED.

The new wording is better than what was originally suggested as
erratum.  It fixes exactly the same issue.
You can see that the current erratum about section 3.2.1 deals with
MODE-READER.  It appeared after discussing with Russ and Clive that
it was better to change section 3.4.2 (mine was just a remark
on section 3.2.1 without any corrected text -- now we have a corrected
text, for 3.4.2).  In fact, I did not know where to put my remark when
I first submitted the bug report.  Clive found a place in RFC 3977
to put it directly in the text, which is far better!

The following sections should be changed (with line breaks removed
in the notes section only, because they are otherwise put at wrong
places in the web version):

Section
-------
3.4.2

Original Text
-------------
However, the server MAY cease to advertise the MODE-READER
capability after the client uses any command except CAPABILITIES.

Corrected Text
--------------
If the client uses a command which will be available in reading mode
and the server will continue to advertise the MODE-READER capability
after responding to that command, the response code 401, with
MODE-READER as the first argument, MUST be returned.  However, the
server MAY cease to advertise the MODE-READER capability after the
client uses any command except CAPABILITIES, in which case the
response code 502 MUST be returned for such commands.

Notes
-----
Here are two examples to illustrate Section 5.3.3 with that clarification.

Example of the 401 response code to indicate that MODE READER is needed:

   [C] CAPABILITIES
   [S] 101 Capability list:
   [S] VERSION 2
   [S] IHAVE
   [S] MODE-READER
   [S] .
   [C] POST
   [S] 401 MODE-READER
   [C] MODE READER
   [S] 200 Reader mode, posting permitted
   [C] CAPABILITIES
   [S] 101 Capability list:
   [S] VERSION 2
   [S] READER
   [S] LIST ACTIVE NEWSGROUPS
   [S] POST
   [S] .

Example of a mode-switching server which does not allow any reader
command to be used, even unsuccessfully, in transit mode:

   [C] CAPABILITIES
   [S] 101 Capability list:
   [S] VERSION 2
   [S] IHAVE