[NNTP] Discrepancy in the definition of an extension

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun Aug 8 05:24:51 PDT 2010

Hi all,

> Section 3.3.3 of RFC 3977 says that the definition of an extension
> must include the following:
>
>   o  Any new arguments the extension associates with any other
>      pre-existing NNTP commands.
>
> However, RFC 4642, 4643 and 4644 say:
>
>   o  This extension does not associate any new responses with pre-
>      existing NNTP commands.
>

> There is a mismatch here.
>
> What is the right wording?  Isn't it "responses" instead of "arguments"
> in RFC 3977?
> Or maybe both responses and arguments?

As we do not know well what RFC 3977 expects here, I considered for
the new version of the draft for LIST additions that both of them
Better to say more than less.

Especially, new arguments are associated with the pre-existing "LIST"
NNTP command ("COUNTS", "DISTRIBUTIONS", "MODERATORS", "MOTD", and
"SUBSCRIPTIONS").  No new responses.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Vinum bonum laetificat cor hominis. »