[NNTP] Additions to LIST commands

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Nov 28 02:52:08 PST 2009

Hi Russ,

>> And in any case, I'm a bit wary about adding unimplemented features in
>> standards, even though a Proposed Standard is allowed them.
>
> This is a good point.  It might be best to stick with just the things INN
> has already implemented for the Proposed Standard document and add
> anything new in a separate document.

And what for LIST COUNTS?  It is implemented in Highwinds products
(e.g. Cyclone, Tornado, Typhoon, Twister -- when they support readers).

Should it be put in the Proposed Standard document?

It behaves like LIST ACTIVE except that it also returns the
number of articles in every newsgroup.

LIST ACTIVE xs4all.*test
215 NewsGroups Follow
xs4all.be.test 0000000274 0000000275 y
xs4all.test 0000003629 0000003623 y
.
LIST COUNTS xs4all.*test
215 NewsGroups Follow
xs4all.be.test 0000000274 0000000275 0000000000 y
xs4all.test 0000003629 0000003623 0000000007 y
.
GROUP xs4all.test
211 7 3623 3629 xs4all.test

It can be useful for news readers which indicate the number of
articles in a newsgroup (otherwise, they have to send both LIST ACTIVE
and GROUP for every subscribed newsgroup at startup).

> It's more work and more writing, but
> it's the more conservative standardization approach.  The other document
> can be on a different track (experimental, for instance) until the new
> ideas prove themselves useful.

OK.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« En voyant le lit vide, il le devint. » (Ponson du Terrail)