[NNTP] Additions to LIST commands

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Fri Nov 20 10:09:35 PST 2009

Hi Antti-Juhani,

>> What do you want to document exactly?
>
> I think it is a good idea to document that if "j" posts are filed anywhere,
> they are filed in "junk", since that is what the current servers are doing.
>
>> What should be a SHOULD?
>
> That messages posted to "j" are filed to the "junk" newsgroup.
>
> I'm looking at this from the point of view of server implementor pondering
> whether I should implement "j", and the "file to 'junk'" sounds to me like an
> implementation detail that should not be mandated by a (proposed) standard.

OK, I got it.

> The main question is, and I tried to ask this in my original message,
> whether the essential property of "j" is "not filed here" or "filed in junk".
> If clients and users expect the latter, then messages to "j" MUST or SHOULD
> be filed to "junk"; if the former, then messages to "j" MAY be filed to "junk".
>
>> Isn't the note I put in the Internet-Draft what you were looking for?
>
> No.  It currently says, without actually using the keyword, that "j" posts MUST
> be filed in "junk".  I'm questioning the validity of that absolute requirement.
>
>>      NOTE:  The status "j" is used only by news servers on which the
>>      newsgroup "junk" exists.
>
> This implies that a server MUST not implement "j" if it does not have "junk".
>
> I would prefer to allow a server to use "j" to indicate "I will accept messages
> to this newsgroup but I will not file them anywhere".  That many servers file
> them to "junk" should be documented for the benefit of client authors and
> users (and perhaps made a SHOULD, if clients expect it), but I don't think it
> should be an implementation requirement for servers.

I think what you suggest for "j" is better.  Let's mention that no messages
are filed into a newsgroup with status "j".
The note would then document "junk" (explaining why the status is called "j"),
saying that if a news server files somewhere the articles, it SHOULD be into
"junk".  And a news server MAY not file the articles at all.

Is it fine with these modals?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Les idées fausses ne sont pas toujours mauvaises. » (Marcel Aymé)