[NNTP] RFC 4643 user-pass-char question

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu May 14 15:06:32 PDT 2009

Hi,

>> I for one reckon it is a pretty good situation to answer 503.
>>
>> Here, AUTHINFO USER/PASS is recognized but does not provide the
>> "white space" support and only handles a subset of legitimate
>> users and passwords!
>
> Rather depends on whether it is considered a syntax error (which is what I read
> the draft 9 wording to require) or, as you say, an unimplemented optional
> feature.

It is not a big deal.  I think 503 is nicer here, knowing it is a special
(and RFC-allowed) feature to accept white spaces in AUTHINFO USER/PASS, even
in draft 9.
But please note that I do not see any problem in case you wish to answer 501.

> One could even make the case that the server MAY respond with 481 (failed
> authentication - no such user here).

481 implies that the syntax was valid and fully understood by the news server.
481 is not a valid answer in this case.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Farpaitement ! » (Obélix)