[NNTP] Article Numbers Becoming Invalid (RFC 3977)

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun Dec 27 02:06:34 PST 2009

Hi Russ,

> This didn't really change between RFC 3977 and RFC 977 except that RFC
> 3977 more clearly breaks out the return codes for their allowed context
> and RFC 977 didn't.  But I think the intention of RFC 977 was the same:
>
>   423 no such article number in this group
>   430 no such article found
>
> To know for sure, though, one would need to check the reference NNTP
> implementation that was developed in conjunction with RFC 977 and see what
> it did.

Just checked in nntp-1.5.11:

#define ERR_NOARTIG     423     /* No such article in this group */
#define ERR_NOART       430     /* No such article at all */

4 uses of ERR_NOARTIG and 2 uses of ERR_NOART.
All of them follow that meaning:

    printf("%d Invalid article number: %s.\r\n", ERR_NOARTIG,
           artbuf);

    printf("%d No article by message-id %s, sorry.\r\n",
           ERR_NOART, argv[2]);

It is exactly what RFC 3977 clearly documents.
423 for an article number; 430 for a message-ID.

[Sabahattin]
>> Probably should be noted somewhere though - I am seeing a Tornado use
>> 430 exclusively (I have no access to an inn install).

Then it is a bug in Tornado.
If you want to test on an INN install, my news server news.trigofacile.com
has open read access.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Avez-vous remarqué qu'à table les mets que l'on vous sert vous mettent
  les mots à la bouche ? » (Raymond Devos)