[NNTP] Article Numbers Becoming Invalid (RFC 3977)

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Sun Dec 27 15:10:53 PST 2009

Sabahattin Gucukoglu said:
> I'm trying to write a program that gets all articles from a group, articles numbered in ascending order,

Most of your questions have been answered, but the usual way to do this is:

    GROUP a.group
    ARTICLE

The ARTICLE might give a 420 failure response - don't worry if it does.
Then repeat the following pair of commands:

    NEXT
    ARTICLE

until you get a 421 response from NEXT. That will get you all the articles.
Again, you might get a 420 from any of the ARTICLE commands if an article
is removed at just the wrong moment.

If you just want a list of numbers, then:

    GROUP a.group
    STAT
    NEXT
    NEXT
    NEXT

until the NEXT gives a 421.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.