[NNTP] Article Numbers Becoming Invalid (RFC 3977)

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Sat Dec 26 14:52:10 PST 2009

On 26 Dec 2009, at 22:06, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Sabahattin Gucukoglu <mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com> writes:
>> RFC 977 makes no special mention of article numbers being no longer
>> valid, but assigns a code 430 for "Article not found".  RFC 3977 does
>> away with that code, but then describes the possibility of articles
>> being removed.  It doesn't say why or how.
>
> I'm not sure that I understand.  430 is still in RFC 3977 as the return
> code for ARTICLE and related commands when retrieving an article number
> (or message ID) that doesn't exist.

Hmm.  Section 6.2.1.1 that describes the article command's usage mentions code 430, but only for when a Message-Id was given, and not for the article number form.  The two subsequent sections seem to confirm that, as does Appendix C.  RFC 977 didn't make any similar restriction.  The changes in Appendix D of RFC 3977 make no note of the change from RFC 977.

I should have clarified my problem by saying that I was talking about article number references, not Message Ids or articles in general.

Cheers,
Sabahattin