[NNTP] Compressed LIST (and other commands) answers

Ade Lovett ade at lovett.com
Wed Dec 2 02:36:52 PST 2009

On Dec 02, 2009, at 02:31 , Urs Janßen wrote:
> compression does happen in the real world (giganews, astraweb, diablo), we
> can ignore that or try to come up with something usefull in a standard so we
> do not see tons of different implementations and at least reader authors end
> up in a nightmare.

You miss the point.

Various server providers have come up with a number of non-standard methods in which to perform compression.

From a client perspective, it is not unreasonable to expect those server authors to document, via IETF et al., the ways in which they are doing things.

The fact that they haven't merely indicates further that they are not interested in the Usenet community at large, and are implementing said details purely to knock up a few notches on the "hey, we're cool" belt.

Astraweb.  Giganews, Highwinds.  Sure, you and I have .. history.  But we're talking about a community here.  A community on which you're making millions of dollars per year.

How about y'all show some interest in standardization?

-aDe