[NNTP] Compressed LIST (and other commands) answers

Ade Lovett ade at lovett.com
Wed Dec 2 02:16:35 PST 2009

On Dec 02, 2009, at 02:07 , Urs Janßen wrote:
> JFTR giganews has implemented something like this:

I am fully aware of what Giganews has implemented.

It's a crock.  Plain and simple.  If they had _any_ respect for the community of which they are a part, they'd have offered up some form of communication on this list.

The fact remains that they've chosen to implement some random ad-hoc solution, no doubt driven by just-out-of-school business development folks, surrounded by a "the family can do no wrong" attitude, to implement something that, quite frankly, is complete garbage.

Ask yourselves these two questions:

1.  If I'm attempting to download binaries faster, what does <compression-technique> give me?
2.  If I'm spending a lot of time in high-traffic text newsgroups, what does <compression-technique> give me?

Pay particular attention to the fact that consumers of (1) and (2) above are most likely already on high speed internet connections (heck, I pay $19.95/mo for 10/3) and so are _not_ the target audience.

Again, I ask folks.  Is this really a "problem" that needs to be "solved" ?

-aDe