[NNTP] Suggestions for NNTP extensions (CAPABILITIES)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 23 21:24:24 PDT 2008

"Charles Lindsey" <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>>> 8/ INN also implements a wider syntax for wildmats (with "[" and "]" for
>>>   instance).  Ranges like "-12" and "-" are also recognized in order to
>>>   be more symmetric with the already defined "12-".
>>>   Notwithstanding, I do not think it needs an extension for that...

>> The wildmat extensions would be nice to write up formally, but I'm not
>> sure it's worth a full extension.

> IIRC, the reason we removed the [...] feature was that it might not play
> well with UTF-8.

It works fine in INN (after I fixed the wildmat support in general to
support UTF-8).  Most of the problems with UTF-8 support in [...] you
have to fix to properly support ? anyway, and some edge cases with *.
It's a bit more complicated and rules out some simple implementation
strategies, but it's not horribly difficult.

There's a test suite in INN that's free for anyone to use which tests
wildmat functions including character classes against various UTF-8 cases
and malformed UTF-8.