[NNTP] Re: Updated news-nntp-uri I-D

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Nov 28 02:59:26 PST 2007

Charles Lindsey said:
>> In any case, there is a further problem that RFC 3977 is much more generous
>> in what it allows:
>
>>     message-id = "<" 1*248A-NOTGT ">"
>>     A-NOTGT    = %x21-3D / %x3F-7E  ; exclude ">"
>
> OK, we have essentially two possibilities:
> 1. restrict it to the USEFORE msgid syntax
> 2. allow the wider RFC 3977 syntax
>
> The point I was making was that if we went for #1, as Franks draft
> proposes, then we should use the syntax given in USEFOR normatively,
> rather than inventing yet-another-version-of-it.

Agreed. But I don't accept #1.

> But #2 is also a reasonable possibility, though it needs the '@' to be
> specified, as you say, and one would need to watch the syntax of URLs, and
> to use %-encoding where needed.

Of course.

> As to whether we should do #2, people should express opinions. I think I
> marginally prefer to remain with #1 (since it is the news: URL where this
> will be used, rather than the nntp: one).

But this URL contains an NNTP server and a message-ID. As far as possible,
if the server is capable of offering up the message the URL syntax should
allow it. (I'm willing to let the @ sign be the boundary of "possible"
unless someone can suggest a workable syntax).

The NNTP syntax is not an error. We intended it to be very loose and
servers to not be limited to email-like message-IDs. Therefore the URL
syntax should follow that.

>>> I disagree entirely with your use of <wildmat-pattern> here, when
>>> <wildmat> would do perfectly well.
>> [...]
>> +1
> Noted. Now try to persuade Frank :-)

Sigh.

If he's going to include things that 3977 added, he should include all of
them.

THUS plc            |                            |