[NNTP] Re: Nearly there

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Aug 18 01:34:48 PDT 2006

Ade Lovett said:
>> Putting in 2^31-1 is fine with me especially considering our charter.
> Agreed.  Let's get this done, out the door, and start work on the
> next steps.

I'm currently doing the AUTH48 walk through. I've made that particular
change.

>> However, I am also very much in favor of putting in a paragraph stating
>> that RFC977 did not specify a limit and that there are news servers that
>> will generate article numbers larger then that

> This will make things needlessly wordy.

Whether or not it does, I've not done this since we had no
previously-agreed wording.

> Right now[1], we're looking at 8.3m articles/day.  Assuming every
> single article went into one group, that gives 258 days before
> wraparound.

While there was a general feeling that we shouldn't pander to it, previous
discussions did bring up a server that allocated unique article *numbers*
to every article, producing the same effect.

> Provided we get an update document out, mandating (at least) 64-bit
> clean inside of a couple of years (honestly, this is do-able, folks),
> we'll be fine.

Agreed.

> 977->ThisDoc *cannot* clean up everything.  977->ThisDoc->NewDoc will.

Doubleplusagreed.

THUS plc            |                            |