[NNTP] Re: Nearly there

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Aug 11 02:12:02 PDT 2006

Russ Allbery said:
>> "Note that it is likely that the article number limit of [4,294,967,295]
>> will be increased by a future revision or extension to this
>> specification.  While servers MUST NOT send article numbers greater than
>> this current limit, client and server developers are advised to use
>> internal structures and datatypes capable of handling larger values in
>> anticipation of such a change."
>
> That seems better to me.

I can live with that.

So, when I get the alert from the RFC Editor:
- change 1 from my original email (remove limit of 12 characters) to be made;
- wording above to be added;
- either:
  - article number limit left unchanged at 2^32-1
  - article number limit changed to 2^31-1.

But which? I still prefer the change, as it better represents what servers
can rely on the client understanding.

THUS plc            |                            |