[NNTP] Re: Nearly there

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 10 11:39:39 PDT 2006

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Russ Allbery said:
>>> I'm very nervous about raising this, after all the arguments this time
>>> last year, but I believe that changing it to 2^31-1 is the correct thing
>>> to do *FOR THIS VERSION OF THE NNTP SPECIFICATION*.
>> I won't argue against either 2^31-1 or 2^32-1, but I'm not sure how much
>> we can get away with changing at this stage in the actual protocol
>> requirements.
>
> If I understood what Scott said, we can make such changes at AUTH48
> provided it's been through the working group.
>
>>>     It is likely that at some stage at least one NNTP server will reach
>>>     the limit of [4,294,967,295] in at least one newsgroup. Ways to deal
>>>     with this while not gratuitously breaking compatibility are still
>>>     being investigated and are likely to result in publication of a
>>>     revision or extension to this specification at some future date.
>>>     While servers MUST NOT send article numbers greater than this limit,
>>>     client and server developers are advised to use internal structures
>>>     and datatypes capable of handling larger values in anticipation of
>>>     such a change.
>> I'm not sure what to think about this.  I think overall it's not a bad
>> idea, though, and might be helpful.  Since the above doesn't change the
>> protocol specification, it's more palatable during AUTH48 to me.
>
> The first part was in lieu of anyone coming up with a mutually acceptable
> proposal in the timescale. The second part is a blatant hint to developers
> not to use 32-bit variables in the future.

The first part seems too wordy to me and gets into more detail than I
think is necessary.  How about something like this instead:

"Note that it is likely that the article number limit of [4,294,967,295]
will be increased by a future revision or extension to this
specification.  While servers MUST NOT send article numbers greater than
this current limit, client and server developers are advised to use

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer