[NNTP] Working Group Closure

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Thu Sep 29 06:14:12 PDT 2005

In <InIvvn.L2w at clerew.man.ac.uk> "Charles Lindsey" <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> writes:

>I believe the most urgent piece of unfinished business is what to do about
>overflowed article numbers. Opinions vary as to when this problem will
>hit us - some predict as little as two years from now, but a more
>realistic estimate would I think be six years, or more.

Following that, I remembered that there was another piece of unfinished
business, namely to develop a new SASL mechanism that allowed the actual
password to be communicated, securely, from the client to the server, but
in all other respects appearing to behave as a straightforward SASL
authentication. The server would then use the password to consult other
systems (securely, one hopes) before deciding whether to grant access.

Whether this WG (as possibly rechartered) is the best body to undertake
that development is not so clear, but it needs to be done by somebody
somewhere.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.