[NNTP] Working Group Closure

Scott Hollenbeck sah at 428cobrajet.net
Thu Sep 29 04:32:59 PDT 2005

Good question.  It's been a long time, December 2000 (IETF-49), I think.
While the meetings aren't decision-making venues, they give other members of
the community an opportunity to pay attention to what you're doing.  It also
gives the group an opportunity to hear what others have to say.

If what you're trying to say is that face-to-face meetinsg aren't valuable,
we're just going to have to agree to disagree.  Trust me when I say that it
is an issue among the people who have to make charter approval decisions.

> > In short: a small number of people active on a mailing list
> does not a
> > working group make.
>
> We seem to have managed an awful lot.

In the last year or so, not so much in the years before that.  Besides,
amount of work produced isn't the metric to be used.  Broad participation
and consensus is.  That's what appears to be lacking.

-Scott-