[NNTP] Working Group Closure

Scott Hollenbeck sah at 428cobrajet.net
Tue Sep 27 07:32:35 PDT 2005

Recharter or new working group as it's not part of the current charter.
Given the history of this group I'd prefer the new working group option,
though a re-charter to work on a 2980 revision and new extensions is also a
possibility.

My big concern is in ensuring that there's sufficient community commitment
to take on, complete, and review new work.  It took this group a LONG TIME
(draft-ietf-nntpext-base-00 was published in 1998) to do what it was
chartered to do.  Not holding meetings during IETF meetings also concerns me
because the group doesn't get the benefit of the available high-bandwidth,
face-to-face communication opportunities.

In short: a small number of people active on a mailing list does not a
working group make.

-Scott-