[NNTP] CAPABILITIES and LIST SUBSCRIPTIONS/LIST MOTD

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue May 24 09:34:25 PDT 2005

Urs Janßen <urs at tin.org> writes:

> What happend to LIST SUBSCRIPTIONS (RFC 2980) and LIST MOTD?
> <Pine.LNX.4.44.0304262356390.4175-100000 at puck.litech.org> ff. didn't
> show up any rejections (and e.g. tin uses "LIST SUBSCRIPTIONS" for
> ages). At last if LIST SUBSCRIPTIONS now is deprecated this should
> be noted in the appendix "Changes from RFC 977 / RFC 2980".

I'm not sure where to find that message ID.

I don't think that either were ever in our draft, or at least I don't
recall them being there.  They at least weren't in the draft as far back
as base-13.  Which is odd, since as you point out, LIST SUBSCRIPTIONS is
in RFC 2980.  The intent was not to deprecate LIST SUBSCRIPTIONS at least
that I can recall, although we didn't end up standardizing it either.

There is a generic mechanism for software to include additional LIST
keywords, so we haven't outlawed either.  If I'd realized that LIST
SUBSCRIPTIONS wasn't in there a year back, I probably would have argued
for inclusion; at this point, I'd argue for a supplemental RFC documenting
it and other LIST extensions if folks want.