[NNTP] LIST OVERFIEW.FMT capability

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon May 23 18:26:50 PDT 2005

Urs Janßen wrote:

> as CAPABILITIES allows "LIST OVERFIEW.FMT" to be returned but
> the indicating capability for "LIST OVERFIEW.FMT" is OVER it might be
> usefull to add a note about the OVER cmd (mandatory or not) if
> "LIST OVERFIEW.FMT" is advertised.
>
> e.g. is the following (not very usefull) answer allowed
>
> [C] CAPABILITIES
> [S] 101 Capability list:
> [S] VERSION 2
> [S] READER
> [S] LIST ACTIVE NEWSGROUPS OVERFIEW.FMT
> [S] .
>
> or must OVER be implemented if LIST OVERFIEW.FMT is advertised.

IMO, yes.  And LIST OVERVIEW.FMT should only be advertised if OVER is
advertised.

It's a good question and a point of confusion that I wanted to avoid by
not having OVERVIEW.FMT (and HEADERS for that matter) listed in the
"LIST" capability at all.  The OVER capability should be enough to
indicate that the OVER and LIST OVERVIEW.FMT commands are available, but
I lost this argument.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127