[NNTP] NNTP Extensions drafts

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon May 23 10:48:28 PDT 2005

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Russ Allbery wrote:
>
>  > Unless we're specifically using capabilities that were added in the
>
>> revisions, I'd rather not add the additional complexity to the
>> publication
>> process of depending on I-Ds.  Ken, were there reasons why we were citing
>> the works in progress rather than the published RFCs in particular, or
>> was
>> it just an effort to stay current?
>

> Mainly just to stay current, with the exception of RFC2222bis, which is
> now going to require the use of the SASLprep profile of StringPrep for
> authorization ID.  I don't believe that there any updates to the SASL
> mech docs or TLS docs which have any bearing on our work, so I can
> fallback to the current RFCs and let the editor update them if possible.

On second thought, RFC 2831bis (DIGEST-MD5) is deprecating the 3DES
cipher (because of a CBC mode attack) and mandating AES.

We're currently mandating DIGEST-MD5 for interoperability, so I don't
know how we want to handle this.  One alternative is to mandate CRAM-MD5
(which is less secure), or TLS+PLAIN (which is what the latest IMAP4
update does), but I'm guessing we'll get a big pushback from members of
the WG.

Another alternative is to block this doc while waiting for a new SASL
mech which resembles PASSDSS.  I've been meaning to write this up for a
while, but haven't gotten to it yet.  Members of the SASL WG feel that
such a mech would be a useful thing.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127