[NNTP] NNTP Extensions drafts

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon May 23 07:28:17 PDT 2005

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
>

>>Please accept the following updated drafts:
>

>>ftp://ftp.oceana.com/pub/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-08.txt
>>ftp://ftp.oceana.com/pub/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-05.txt
>>ftp://ftp.oceana.com/pub/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-06.txt
>

> draft-ietf-sasl-saslprep-* has been published as RFC 4013.  Could you
> update the reference in the authinfo draft accordingly?

It already is, unless I'm missing something.

> The I-D checklist asks that the Abstract not have any references that
> aren't fully explained.  The authinfo and streaming drafts have references
> to [NNTP-COMMON].  Could you reword the Abstract to clearly indicate that
> this is RFC 2980?

Done.  I used your wording as a template and made some adjustments of my
own.

Actually, both AUTHINFO and STREAMING had RFC 2970 (instead of 2980)
listed as being updated in the boilerplate.  I fixed this as well.

> Note that both the authinfo and tls drafts currently have normative
> references on IDs.  The tls ones are on documents currently in Last Call,
> so hopefully they'll finish before we do.  The authinfo ones are more
> problematic.  We may need to back off the references to RFC 2222, RFC
> 2831, and RFC 3454 (and, in fact, since SASLprep was published with a
> reference to RFC 3454, we probably should back off our reference
> accordingly).  Changing the RFC 2831 reference looks trivial; RFC 2222 may
> require reviewing section number references.

Actually all of the drafts in the references are updates to existing
RFCs (except for NNTP-AUTH and NNTP-TLS).  I could just reference the
current RFCs if you want.  Let me know what you want me to do, and I'll
resubmit right away if necessary.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127