[NNTP] Status and issue resolutions

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri May 20 00:36:31 PDT 2005

Ade Lovett said:
> Having read and re-read both the proposed changes, the relevant
> sections of code in a number of news server packages, and spoken to a
> number of people intimate with the workings of the more common
> newsreaders, I remove my objections to the proposed changes to
> LISTGROUP.

I'm glad to hear that.

> My concerns with making the "group" argument optional to GROUP
> remain, however.  I don't believe this buys anything -- indeed, if
> time were permitting, I would give serious consideration to
> completely reworking GROUP/LISTGROUP -- the two commands are similar
> yet subtly different I cannot help but feel this will come back to
> bite us in the future.

I'm wondering what you mean by "similar yet subtly different".

At present, the *intended* differences are:
* LISTGROUP generates a multiline block after the initial 211 response
  (nobody was comfortable, way back when, with using a different number);
* LISTGROUP has a second argument that affects the contents of that block;
* the first argument to LISTGROUP is optional (with the consequential
  possibility of a 412 response).

Any other difference is unintentional and I'd really like to know what you
think there is.