[NNTP] Status and issue resolutions

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu May 19 04:01:39 PDT 2005

Russ Allbery said:
> For the outstanding issues, let me recap:
>  * LISTGROUP is now part of READER.
>  * The range argument to LISTGROUP is in.
>  * NEWNEWS is its own capability.

All done to the current text.

> That means that the LISTGROUP response is the same as the GROUP response,
> as has been in our draft for a while, and it needs to include the group
> name.  However, the change to GROUP to allow the group to be omitted is
> out, and the text should be reverted to the previous version when the
> group name is mandatory.
>
> I'm doing this in the interest of getting this draft out the door, and the
> most easily defensible position for me is to say that we're just not going
> to change the stuff that we've had in there for a long time at this point.
>
> If you want to talk me out of this, you have two days.

Given that LISTGROUP remains unchanged, there is no technical issue with
the change to GROUP. The issue is purely one of whether we should make the
change at this late date. Does that affect your opinion?

> I would like to
> get all of the drafts published as I-Ds this weekend and then go to IETF
> Last Call.  Clive, I believe the outstanding changes to pre-2 are
> therefore:
>
>  * Changing the GROUP text.

Done. Note that there are consequential changes to LISTGROUP (because its
behaviour is less like GROUP than before).

It is easy enough to change it back if I have persuaded you :-).

>  * Updates to the internationalization section as mentioned in my previous
>    message, if you're comfortable with those.

I've left it as it was yesterday; I think you were happy enough with that
text.

>  * Inclusion of the changes from previous RFCs section as discussed, if
>    you're comfortable with that section.

Done - see previous message.

> Will it be possible for you do make those changes and submit the I-D by
> this weekend?

Yes, it should be.

> I'm going to send a separate message in a moment with pointers to the
> requirements for I-Ds for Last Call.  We need to go over them one more
> time and make sure everything is good.  This is something that we can
> parallelize, and the more eyes the better, so I'd greatly appreciate it if
> other working group members could volunteer to go through those
> requirements and post any needed changes or issues to the list so that the
> work doesn't all fall on the editors and myself (particularly since I'm
> struggling a lot lately to find free time).

I've put a pre-3 draft in the usual place:

    <http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/draft26.pre-3.txt>
    <http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/draft26.pre-3.html>
    <http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/draft26.pre-3.unpg.txt>

(the last of these has no page breaks, and may be easier for comparisons;
unfortunately this facility has only just become available).

Please use these, rather than anything else, for making the checks Russ
refers to and for checking formatting issues.

The formal draft-26 will go to the I-D editor no earlier than 15:00 UTC
tomorrow (Friday) unless I get a stop command from Russ or I spot a
show-stopper myself, so that's your deadline. It may well not be until the
weekend, but it *will* go before Monday morning.

> I think we're basically done.  Let's push them out the door; our documents
> are a vast improvement over the existing situation, and it will be much,
> much easier to prepare future revisions based on the new documents.

Amen.