[NNTP] Internationalisation, attempt 2

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed May 18 19:05:22 PDT 2005

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

> Okay, here's the second attempt.

I have reviewed the pre-2 text, which I realize may be somewhat updated
from the text in the message that I'm responding to.  It looks good to
me.  The only comment that I have is that in several places the text says:

    <some phrasing about other encodings> MAY be used but are likely to
    cause interoperability problems.

following a SHOULD saying something different.  This is, as I understand
it, not the intended use of SHOULD and MAY; in particular, a MAY I don't
believe should say you can do something that a SHOULD says you shouldn't.

This problem may well have been in my proposed text.

I believe that all wording of that sort should be changed to either:

    ...are likely to cause interoperability problems.

(in other words, just dropping the "MAY be used" entirely and leaving the
SHOULD with its implicit escape clause) or:

    ...SHOULD NOT be used, as they are likely to cause interoperability
    problems.

which just reiterates the previous SHOULD.  I have a minor preference for
the first.