[NNTP] Draft 26 pre-2

Ade Lovett ade at lovett.com
Wed May 11 09:33:21 PDT 2005

On May 11, 2005, at 00:54 , Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> A *long* time ago the 211 response to LISTGROUP was changed to be
> the same
> as the 211 response to GROUP.

If LISTGROUP had a single required argument, as with GROUP, then that
would make sense -- you could argue that both commands are different
ways to enter a group, setting the current article pointer to the
first available in that group, the only difference being that
LISTGROUP had a further multiline response dumping out the list of
"available" article numbers.

That's not the case, however.  Current use of both GROUP and, more
importantly, LISTGROUP, is well-defined (I've spoken with people
involved in one of the more popular Windows-based newsreaders), and
certainly any text after the relevant 211 response line is simply
thrown away.

Indeed, with the output of GROUP being a notable, and unfortunate
exception, I grew up with clients that merely parsed the three-digit
response code and threw away the rest of the initial response line.

The proposed changes do nothing to improve the usability of LISTGROUP
in the wild, whilst placing considerable constraints on those server
authors that have to deal with a *LARGE* number of simultaneous
client connections.  In such cases, seemingly harmless changes to
output can generate *HUGE* implementation headaches, for essentially
no gain.

> The LISTGROUP change has been through at least one Last Call, so
> I'm loath
> to change it back without debate and certainly not without Russ's
> input.

I so request such debate.

-aDe