[NNTP] Internationalisation, attempt 2

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Mon May 9 11:52:56 PDT 2005

In <87ekckniwt.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Kai Henningsen <kaih at khms.westfalen.de> writes:

>> Is there something about <ab.cd at ExAmPlE.CoM>? If not, there should
>> probably be. (That is, while domain names are case insensitive, message
>> ids are compared bytewise.)

>You actually can't rely on that; INN compares the RHS case-insensitively
>(and the LHS case-insensitively as well iff it case-insensitively matches
>"postmaster", due to a hilarious misreading of the standard that I haven't
>fixed for backward compat issues).

Then I think INN is in breach of our new draft (on both counts), and a
suitably ingenious malefactor could cause nasty things to happen on Usenet
(like different sites seeing different forms of supposedly identical
articles). Practically, it is most unlikely to arise, unless some stupid
relayer tries to "fix" a message-id by changing its case.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.