[NNTP] Internationalisation, attempt 2

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Wed May 4 03:24:24 PDT 2005

In <20050503083453.GF29250 at finch-staff-1.thus.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>Charles Lindsey said:

>    Restricting newsgroup names to UTF-8 is not a complete solution.
>    In particular, when new newsgroup names are created or a user is
>    asked to enter a newsgroup name, some scheme of canonicalisation
>    will need to take place.  This specification does not attempt to
>    define that canonicalization; further work is needed in this area
>    in conjunction with the article format specifications.  Until such
>    specifications are published, implementations SHOULD match newsgroup
>    names octet-by-octet.  It is anticipated that any approved scheme
>    will be applied "at the edges" and therefore octet-by-octet comparison
>    will continue to apply to most, if not all, uses of newsgroup names
>    in NNTP.

Looks fine to me.

>> BTW, if the draft still includes those examples on non-equivalent
>> message-ids, the latest version of them (following discovery of yet
>> another case needing to be covered) is:
>>
>> |  <ab.cd at example.com>
>> |  <"ab.cd"@example.com>
>> |  <"ab.\cd"@example.com>

>Um, how does this differ from the present example of:

>    <abcd at example.com>
>    <"abcd"@example.com>
>    <"ab\cd"@example.com>

By the inclusion of that '.' in "ab.cd".

Usefor has been gradually restricting the syntax of message-ids so that
they can safely be compared as octet streams. Periodically, someone comes
up with an ingenious new problem :-( .

The latest was when it was pointed out that an otherwise unexceptionable
dot-atom-text should never be placed inside a quoted-string, and after the
syntax had been fixed for that, the standard example was changed to
illustrate the point (well, it hasn't made it into the latest draft yet,
but that is what was suggested recently). I was just suggesting that the
NNTP draft might wish to make the same change.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.