[NNTP] Internationalisation, attempt 2

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Tue May 3 02:42:55 PDT 2005

In <20050502080949.GE37364 at finch-staff-1.thus.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>Hmm. Do we want to forbid recoding of articles as they arrive? Obviously
>the HDR data must correspond to the article as it would be delivered.

>Opinions needed before I touch this wording.

Usefor/pro makes it quite clear that relaying agents either pass on
articles exactly as received, or else drop them on the floor. There are
too many agents around that 'think' they can 'improve' articles (and they
are more often than not wrong in that belief). If you drop it on the
floor, then it becomes somebody else's problem. If somebody else is
prepared to relay it, then it will flood around you and the rest of Usenet
will still see it (and form their own opinions about it).

Injecting agents OTOH might possibly fix such problems, and gateways might
be forced to do so in order to be compliant on the target medium.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.