[NNTP] Internationalisation, attempt 2

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue May 3 01:34:53 PDT 2005

Charles Lindsey said:
> Surely the intent is that matching octet-by-octet should apply
> _permanently_ (in any case, our draft proposes no other way of doing it).
> Normalization is for clients to get right (or at most for the injecting
> agent hiding behind the POST command to check and/or fix). If some
> unnormalized newsgroup-name makes it through, then it will just fail to
> match. Tough!

I can sympathise, but I don't want to be too ready to make that assumption
for all uses (in particular, POST could well be an exception). Here's what
I've now got:

    Restricting newsgroup names to UTF-8 is not a complete solution.
    In particular, when new newsgroup names are created or a user is
    asked to enter a newsgroup name, some scheme of canonicalisation
    will need to take place.  This specification does not attempt to
    define that canonicalization; further work is needed in this area
    in conjunction with the article format specifications.  Until such
    specifications are published, implementations SHOULD match newsgroup
    names octet-by-octet.  It is anticipated that any approved scheme
    will be applied "at the edges" and therefore octet-by-octet comparison
    will continue to apply to most, if not all, uses of newsgroup names
    in NNTP.

> BTW, if the draft still includes those examples on non-equivalent
> message-ids, the latest version of them (following discovery of yet
> another case needing to be covered) is:
>
> |  <ab.cd at example.com>
> |  <"ab.cd"@example.com>
> |  <"ab.\cd"@example.com>

Um, how does this differ from the present example of:

    <abcd at example.com>
    <"abcd"@example.com>
    <"ab\cd"@example.com>

?