[NNTP] Misc changes

Urs Janßen urs at tin.org
Mon May 2 06:34:09 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 09:02:59AM +0100, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Making NEWNEWS a separate capability is fine. But is NEWGROUPS useful
> without NEWNEWS (and vice versa)? It seems to me that they belong in a
> single bundle.

some servers only disallow NEWNEWS but do allow NEWGROUPS and some
clients (e.g. tin) only try NEWGROUPS but never try NEWNEWS.

I would put NEWNEWS and NEWGROUPS into the READER capability, but as
others found NEWNEWS usefull for use with feeds as well they should
be listes in a new section, e.g.:

   WHATEVER
      This capability indicates that the server implements the
      NEWNEWS and/or NEWGROUPS commands.
      If and only if the NEWNEWS command is implemented, there MUST
      be a single argument NEWNEWS. If and only if the NEWGROUPS
      command is implemented, there MUST be a single argument
      NEWGROUPS. (These arguments may appear in either order.)

      [C] CAPABILITIES
      [S] 101 Capability list:
      [S] VERSION 2
      [S] READER LISTGROUP
      [S] LIST ACTIVE NEWSGROUPS
      [S] WHATEVER NEWGROUPS
      [S] .
      [C] NEWNEWS news.answers 20050502 000000
      [S] 500 unknown command

urs
--
"Only whimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
 on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)" - Linus