[NNTP] AD guidance on NNTP i18n issues

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 06:04:31 PST 2005

In <074f01c5352e$b745f470$0b01a8c0 at isolution.nl> "Ruud H.G. van Tol" <rvtol at isolution.nl> writes:

>Charles Lindsey schreef:

>> it would  be quite infeasible to expect NNTP implementations
>> to recognise that two newsgroup-names were in fact alternative
>> 'spellings' of the same newsgroup.

>Aliasses would be nice. In that way a newsgroup can have
>more than one name, so also more than one variant of the
>same name.

Please! No aliases! Not as a feature of NNTP that would be expected to
work at all sites (and would be useless if it only worked at some sites).

It is all right for individual sites that store news to create aliases, or
to present articles from two groups as a single group for the benefit of
their local clients, but such effects should be invisible from outside
that site.

Usefor has (I hope) made it clear that, when following up to an article,
you send it to the groups in the precursor's Newsgroups header, whatever
the name of the groups you "thought" you were reading at the time.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.