[NNTP] AD guidance on NNTP i18n issues

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Wed Mar 30 03:16:59 PST 2005

In <871x9yxpk1.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Charles Lindsey <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> writes:

>> I think you want to do that mainly by punting it to Usefor. Something like

>> "It is anticipated that extensions or replacements to RFC 1036 will
>> introduce I18N features, notably in connection with newsgroup-names, the
>> information needed for the LIST NEWSGROUPS output etc. etc. etc. Insofar
>> as these extension may make use of UTF-8, this present standard has
>> hopefully made suitable provision. However, it is not precluded that
>> such developmens may require further extensions to this standard."

>We should say something about future work, yes, but we need to spell out
>what the problems are specifically.  The above is not adequate in my
>opinion, as I understand the guidance we've received and the issue,
>although it's not *far* off.  I would rather specifically talk about why
>those three things in particular are an issue and then talk about what
>some future article standard might do later.

Sure, that text was just intended as a skeleton on which you could hang
specific technical points that need to be incluided.

>That's what I said.  :)

>> Yes indeed. But be careful not to commit to any particular final
>> solution.  I am sure we all believe that UTF-8 is the way to go, but we
>> may not succeed in carrying the rest of the world with us.

>If we're not going to commit to UTF-8 as the solution, we should clearly
>state that if the solution ends up being something other than UTF-8,
>further changes to the NNTP standard may also be required.  Maybe say
>something along the lines of "this standard anticipates and allows for a
>future standardization on UTF-8 for newsgroup names and descriptions; if
>some other solution is chosen, further changes to the NNTP standard in
>this area may be required."

Yes that is fine (it is pretty close to part of what I wrote).

Note that one of the technical points which could follow on from that is
that if UTF-8 were to be used for newsgroup-names, some form of
normalization would be essential (via *-prep or whatever) because it would
be quite infeasible to expect NNTP implementations to recognise that two
newsgroup-names were in fact alternative 'spellings' of the same
newsgroup. Essentially the same problem as comparing message identifiers,
for which we had to put some really ugly syntax into Usefor.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.