[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Peter Robinson pmrobinson at gmx.net
Tue Mar 29 15:15:05 PST 2005

Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

> First, the command is pretty widely implemented, and it's not obvious
> anything useful is gained by making it optional.  If we're going to make
> NEWNEWS mandatory, LISTGROUP is a lot easier to implement and more widely
> supported right now, and that would get rid of one of our capabilities
> that we have to keep track of.

Was a consensus reached either of these?

Given that NEWNEWS is mandatory, the only reason I can see for keeping
LISTGROUP optional, is the late stage in the process.

> Second, LISTGROUP would be much more useful for some purposes if it took a
> range as an optional second argument.

IMHO, that would change it from a mere curiosity to a command that some
clients might want to use.  Again timing is a problem.  Solutions to the
syntax snags have been proposed, so I don't have a problem with that,
but IMHO, it definitely can't get away without having a CAPABILITY
argument (e.g. 'RANGE').

Just my 2c.

Regards,

Peter