[NNTP] Re: AD guidance on NNTP i18n issues

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Tue Mar 29 03:50:47 PST 2005

In <Pine.WNT.4.63.0503281604240.4664 at Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU> Mark Crispin <MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU> writes:

>Recommendations are needed.  Suggest:
>  1) untagged non-ASCII character sets SHOULD NOT appear in headers and
>     bodies.
>  2) to make (1) feasible, USEFOR is given a task to determine how 8-bit
>     characters in headers are to be tagged.

No, that is a "Do you still beat your wife?" sort of solution. It implies
that there WILL be tagging of headers, and that prevents Usefor from
saying that "Headers are in UTF-8. Period." with all other charsets
outlawed. I don't know whether we can persuade the world to accept that,
but we should not be prevented from trying.

Tagging is a very messy thing.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.