[NNTP] Future-proofing for including capabilities in responses

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Mar 29 04:56:05 PST 2005

Charles Lindsey said:
> I don't like the idea of a text which, even viewed in a UTF-8 reader with
> full capabilities, contains an invisible character which has semantic
> meaning.
[...]
> And I like even less the idea of breaking the already-extablished UTF-8
> standard.

In both cases we're looking for a delimiter for *machine* parsing - humans
would not normally be examining this text, so why does it matter?

And we're not breaking the UTF-8 standard, we're using an octet sequence
which is *not* UTF-8 to indicate, well, that what follows is not just UTF-8
text.