[NNTP] Future-proofing for including capabilities in responses

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Mar 28 06:40:40 PST 2005

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Having said all that (yet again), let me point out that if you really do
> want to put data in the free text, then using a delimiter like [] is a bad
> idea for at least two reasons:
> - it's not unlikely that it's been used already (having semantics in
>   natural languages);
> - it leads to more questions, such as whether you can have multiple []
>   clauses and, if so, which ones have meaning.

Then pick something that isn't likely to appear in the wild, e.g.:

Using non-ASCII seems overkill.

I think at this point we've reached consensus that this would only be
necessary if we want to put the capabilities in the initial greeting (we
can use a multiline responses elsewhere), so this discussion is probably
moot.  But I really don't see what the big deal is with putting the
capabilities in the free text.  IMAP added it and nobody squealed.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127