[NNTP] Re: New NNTP drafts approaching IETF Last Call

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Mar 24 09:26:41 PST 2005

Mark Crispin said:
> The text uses such terms as "letter" and "digit" apparently presupposing
> the ASCII meanings of these terms, for example, in 3.3.1 we have "a
> capability line can only begin with a letter."

"letter" occurs in three places in the current draft:

  Section 2:
    A "keyword" MUST consist only of US-ASCII letters, digits, and the
    characters dot (".") and dash ("-"), and MUST begin with a letter.

  Section 3.3.1:
    Each capability line consists of:
    o  The capability label, which is a keyword indicating the
       capability.
    [...]
    Note that a capability line can only begin with a letter.

  Section 8.4.2:
    [...] the first 7 lines MUST (except for the case of letters) be
    exactly: