[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Thu Mar 24 07:42:39 PST 2005

In <E1DEDUM-0009x0-9D at trinity.supernews.net> "Andrew - Supernews" <andrew at supernews.net> writes:

>This (as Russ also said) seems simplest from a compatibility
>perspective. But it's logically broken in that you don't know what
>the valid range is until you actually enter the group.

The number you give will usully be one more than the last article you read
from the same group yesterday.

However, there is one niggle. Suppose the group has become empty since
yesterday (a mass expiry/cancellation/whatever). It is now legitimate
(though deprecated) to reset the low water mark to zero and start off from
there (well, that is one interpretation of section 6.1.1.2, though the
wording does seem a little contradictory).

So, is there a problem there, and is there also a similar problem in other
commands with a range parameter? Of have I just misunderstood section
6.1.1.2?

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.