[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Mar 24 00:49:48 PST 2005

Ken Murchison said:
> Which is why I suggested that we could leave LISTGROUP as optional and
> the range feature optional as well.  So we make "LISTGROUP" its own
> capability with an optional "RANGE" argument.

Yuk.

We made LISTGROUP an argument of READER because it makes little sense to
implement LISTGROUP (or GROUP, for that matter) without ARTICLE.

This range thing is small, but it's either useful to lots of people - and
so should be mandatory - or isn't - in which case drop it. Remember what we
write in our own document:

    Experience with many protocols has shown that:

        Protocols with few options tend towards ubiquity, whilst
        protocols with many options tend towards obscurity.