[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Mar 24 00:46:39 PST 2005

Ken Murchison said:
> Forgive my ignorance and/or naivety, but unless the client is actually
> trying to list articles in a toplevel group (do toplevel groups even
> contain articles?) wouldn't the group parameter always contain at least
> one hierarchy separator (".")?

No. Traditionally group names without a dot were local to a site; I believe
that B News and C News automatically excluded them from feeds.

For the record, our current syntax defines a newsgroup name as being a
wildmat item with no wildcards. That is, it is a string of any of the 88
printable ASCII characters except * , ? [ \ and ].

Thus "current group" would be best specified as * or ? (the former is more
consistent with wildmat meaning; the latter is more obvious to humans).

> Alternatively, we can stipulate that the range parameter can only be
> used if a group is also specified:
>
> LISTGROUP [group [range]]

I prefer this.